2 c. long-grain white rice (prefer Basamti)
1/2 tsp. saffron
1 1/2 c. yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. golden raisins
1 c. plain yogurt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tbsp. cream or milk
4 cloves garlic
5 tbsp. slivered almonds
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs. skinned & boned chicken breasts & thighs 3 tsp.
Mr. Mike’s Garam Masala
Dash of salt & white pepper
- Cover rice in large bowl with cold water and let stand minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
- In a separate bowl, mix milk or cream with saffron and let stand for 3 hours.
- In blender or food processor, combine onion, garlic, ginger, 3 tablespoons almonds and 3 tablespoons water and blend until smooth paste is formed. Reserve.
- Melt butter over medium heat and add remaining almonds. Cook until golden (about 4 minutes).
- Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Drop the raisins in the oil and remove as soon as they plump (just a few seconds).
- Drain on paper towel and reserve.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of oil to the same skillet. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Reserve.
- Add remaining oil to skillet.
- Add the onion paste and cook until lightly browned, stirring constantly (5 minutes). If the mixture starts sticking to the pan, add a little water.
- Add yogurt to the pan slowly and whisk vigorously to blend.
- Add the chicken and accumulated juices with 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Add Co-op Garam Masala, salt and pepper to the chicken and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a large stockpot, boil 4 quarts of water.
- Drain the rice and add slowly to boiling water.
- Cook for 6 minutes and drain immediately.
- Spread 1/3 of the rice on the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Cover with half the chicken mixture; add another layer of rice.
- Spread rest of chicken and top with remaining rice.
- Drizzle the reserved cream or milk over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle the fried raisins and almonds.Serves 4-6